Major hotel brands implement new protocols as Caribbean reopens
As Caribbean islands plan the reopening of their tourism sector in the next couple of months, major hotel brands with properties across the region are highlighting their new cleanliness protocols to protect visitors and locals alike from the COVID-19 virus.
Here are what some brands are promising.
The Butch Stewart owned all-inclusive brand with hotels in St Lucia, Jamaica, Antigua, The Bahamas, Grenada and Barbados, has rolled out its Platinum Protocols of Cleanliness with an 18-touch point practice that will focus on integrated advanced hygiene practices at over 18 key touchpoints including elevators, guest rooms, swimming pools, and fitness centres.
Sandals say the guest experience will begin from arrival with each given access to the private lounge reserved for Sandals and Beaches guests only. Upon entering, guests will be given a dollop of hand sanitiser, complimentary mask and gloves, and a cool drink in luxurious surroundings.
The Sandals Lounge will be cleaned and sanitised every 30 minutes throughout the daily operation with all Team Members required to wear a mask while on duty, including drivers. In addition to wearing masks, taggers handling bags must also wear gloves and wash hands regularly, among other measures.
At check-in, guests will have their temperatures checked as a precautionary measure. Temperatures exceeding 99.5F/37.5C will be considered out of range.
Sandals assure of even more robust housekeeping measures to ensure a hospital-grade, sanitised environment according to the strictest protocols.
As such, all linens will be cleaned every day, and all mattresses and pillows will have protectors that will be disinfected daily. After every room is thoroughly cleaned with hospital-grade disinfectants, the door will be locked, and a seal will be placed between the door and the casing to certify that no one else has entered until the guests arrive. Accompanying bellman and/or butler will respray and disinfect both the inside and outside of the door handle with disinfectant upon leaving the room.
Sandals say it will introduce new ways to encourage our guests to maintain safe social distancing while still providing a relaxing resort experience. This includes extended check-in times between guests, safe distance table setups in our restaurants, bars, and on our beaches, nod and a smile will replace handshakes and only one couple at a time will be permitted in each elevator, with staff members taking alternate routes
To read more about Sandals’ new protocols visit: https://www.sandals.com/cleanliness-protocols/
Blue Diamond Resorts
Blue Diamond, the owner of Royalton Luxury Resorts, Grand Lido in Negril, Memories Resorts & Spa, Mystique Resorts, Starfish Resorts, Planet Hollywood Hotels and Resorts, said the group’s Safety-Assured Vacations protocols will be implemented at each of its 47 properties across the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico.
The Safety-Assured Vacations program includes:
- 360º Clean Approach: All resort common areas including pools, beaches, restaurants, bars, entertainment facilities, lobbies, elevators, hallways, and other shared spaces will be cleaned hourly. All high-touch surfaces, including general transportation units like golf carts and luggage trolleys, will continuously be sanitised throughout the day, plus fitness centre equipment and spa facilities will be sanitized after each use. Blue Diamond is also increasing the daily frequency of cleaning and disinfection procedures for air-conditioning systems of both common areas and guest rooms.
- Family-First Promise: A superior cleaning and disinfection program for kids and teens club’s facilities and equipment has been implemented, in addition to child-friendly signage and physical distancing measures to ensure a safe environment for little ones, tweens, and teens.
- Advanced Dining Safety: All restaurants have reduced capacity and implemented a one-step reservation system to ensure physical distancing guidelines are respected. Further changes include removal of unnecessary items on tables to avoid cross-contamination, elimination of physical menus, the introduction of digital screens to display menu information and physical distancing guidelines at pool bars.
- Diamond Clean Guest Rooms: Each housekeeping team will thoroughly clean guest rooms from the inside out, with Advanced-grade disinfection products to eliminate emerging viral pathogens. Each touchpoint in a guests’ room will be deep cleaned including remote controls, doorknobs, hairdryers, closet doors, thermostats, lamps, telephones, water faucets, and toilet handles. All non-essential amenities will be removed and new in-room hygiene kits with personal-size hand sanitizers, masks, gloves, and other safety essentials will be placed in rooms. Room service procedures have been updated to ensure safe and distant delivery, as well as the process to replenish mini-fridges and other guest room items to limit additional entry.
- Physical Distancing and Protection: To provide Safety-Assured Vacations, signage and informative messages will be displayed throughout the common areas and in-room TVs to reinforce the importance of following recommendations. To maintain physical distancing protocols, floor markers will be placed around the resort’s common areas, the furniture will be rearranged in common areas, including restaurants, theatres, pool areas, beaches and lobbies. All indoor guest facilities will reduce the capacity to maintain a safe and enjoyable environment for both guests and employees. In addition, hand sanitizer dispensers will be available throughout each resort to encourage guests to sanitize their hands regularly.
For more information on Blue Diamond’s Safety-Assured Vacations, please visit www.bluediamondresorts.com/covid-19.
Owners of the Zoetry Wellness and Resort Spas, Dreams, Secrets, Breathless, Now, Reflect, Sunscape and Alua Resorts, AM has outlined the following measures at its properties.
- Continuous communication with staff to reinforce sanitisation safety procedures in both front-of-house and back-of-house areas.
- Continuous cleaning of public surfaces such as front desk, restaurant counters, and dining tables and public touchpoints, such as handrails, railings, elevators buttons, door handles, and knobs.
- Hand sanitiser is located throughout public and back-of-house locations, such as lobby, outlets, restrooms and work areas. Sanitisers are refilled and checked regularly.
- Food at buffet restaurants is presented and served in a manner that supports overall health and wellness.
- All departments have implemented handwashing or hygiene procedures to take place multiple times during the staff shift.
- For guests who may feel unwell, there are detailed protocols developed in partnership with Cristal International Standards. And if at any point a guest feels ill, they will be asked to return to their room and contact the front desk.