COVID-19: Sagicor Bank shares cleaning tips for point-of-sale devices
With the projected increase in the use of electronic means of payments at this time, it is important that merchants remain vigilant to ensure the cleanliness of the devices being used, said sagicor Bank. (iStock photo)
As the country battles the new reality brought on by the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Sagicor Bank is seeking to encourage merchants to exercise safety practices in the use of Point of Sale (POS) and Mobile Point of Sale (MPOS) devices to conduct business.
Kevin Chin Shue, Assistant Vice President, Sagicor Bank Cards and Payments, noted that with the projected increase in the use of electronic means of payments at this time, it is important that merchants remain vigilant to ensure the cleanliness of the devices being used.
“We want to urge merchants to do what is necessary to ensure that machines are cleaned regularly, to reduce the chance of transmitting the virus, even as you remain guided by the directives from the government and health authorities,” he said.
Kevin Chin Shue, Assistant Vice President, Sagicor Bank Cards and Payments
Chin Shue said based on the recommendations from the manufacturer of the POS and MPOS machines, the following are the steps to be taken when cleaning and disinfecting the devices:
- Devices should only be cleaned with water using a lightly damp microfiber cloth. Solvents, detergents and abrasive cleaners should not be used.
- After cleaning, the devices may be disinfected using an alcohol-based wipe or alcohol-based cleaner applied to a microfiber cloth. Do not spray, coat or pour any disinfectant or other liquid directly onto the device.
- Never use bleach, thinner, trichloroethylene or ketone-based solvents, which can deteriorate plastic or rubber parts of the device.
It is also important that merchants who use point of sale devices remain cognizant of the risk for persons to fraudulently access the machines. Chin Shue shared tips for safeguarding the devices, to mitigate the potential for fraud.
- Secure your POS/MPOS device on the premises and do not leave it in areas easily accessible to customers.
- Be aware of customers whose cards are not signed and who refuse to present a valid ID card, when requested.
- Remember to settle your devices at the end of every business day and print the detailed report for your records before settling. The MPOS auto settles at the end of each day.
- Protect your Username and Password for the MPOS MPAY2 App.
Merchants are being asked to call 888- SAGICOR (724-4267) and use the options for Sagicor Bank and Merchant Services or send an email to email@example.com to receive customer support.
Chin Shue, meanwhile, assured the public that Sagicor Bank remained committed to maintaining excellent service delivery during this period.
He further urged persons to practice the necessary precautions for safety from COVID-19, as the nation and global community navigate the impact of this crisis.