11 new COVID-19 cases confirmed in St Thomas
Community surveillance in the quarantined communities in Clarendon and St Thomas has been cited for 11 new positive coronavirus (COVID-19) cases within the last 24 hours into Friday afternoon.
The new cases bring Jamaica’s total confirmed COVID-19 cases to 1,082.
Recoveries have also increased by seven, bringing that total to 761 patients recovered and released from care (a 70.3 per cent recovery rate).
The country is now managing 245 (22.6 per cent) active cases across the island, including seven moderately ill patients and one critically ill patient.
Sixty-two cases recorded in Jamaica have returned to their countries of origin.
Of the 11 newly confirmed cases, there are four males and seven females, with ages ranging from 13 to 49 years. All 11 new cases reside in St Thomas, with 10 classified as contacts of confirmed cases, while one remains under investigation.
Jamaica now has 388 imported cases; 350 cases that are contacts of confirmed cases; 75 local transmission cases not epidemiologically linked; 236 related to the workplace cluster in St Catherine, and 33 cases are under investigation.
Females account for 55 per cent (598) of all the confirmed cases, while the remaining 45 per cent (484) are males. They range in age from two months to 88 years.
Five persons of interest are in state quarantine, while some 26,175 persons of interest are quarantined at home.
Health departments across the island are now following some 822 close contacts of confirmed cases.
The public is being asked to be vigilant in the practice of infection prevention and control measures to guard against the spread of COVID-19, including the frequent washing of hands with soap and water; maintaining the prescribed six-foot physical distance from others; and wearing a mask when in public spaces.
Visitors and returning residents are reminded that they must comply with quarantine orders.