Tuesday 20 August, 2019

WATCH: New videos of fatal shooting of teen by security guard

A screen grab from a new video of last week's fatal shooting of a teenager by a security guard in Cross Roads, St Andrew.

A screen grab from a new video of last week's fatal shooting of a teenager by a security guard in Cross Roads, St Andrew.

A new video from a close-up and much clearer angle has surfaced in relation to the fatal shooting of a 16-year-old boy by a security guard in Cross Roads, St Andrew last Wednesday morning.

The deceased is Tae-Sean Marshall who was of a Kingston address.

A version of the new 40-second video which has been on social, depicts the incident from a frontal direction in relation to the group of three boys with whom a KingAlarm security team was engaged in the wee hours of the morning.

The three youngsters are first seen speaking with the security guards in the car.

After a few seconds, one of the youngsters suddenly runs off, while another moves a little distance away from the vehicle.

Marshall is left still talking to the security guards, before being shot dead.  At one point, he is seen lifting his shirt and an object is seen flying from his hand, but the exact sequence of events that led to him being fatally shot remains unclear. 

Following the fatal shooting, the security guard driving the vehicle is seen exiting the vehicle.

Last week, another video from another angle had gone viral on social media, but from it, Marshall’s actions during the incident could not be clearly seen as he was positioned mainly behind the vehicle with the guards.

See slowed down video below

 

 

The police reported that the teenager was shot and killed by the guards after they responded to reports of a break-in in the area.

The police said an imitation firearm was recovered from the slipper-wearing teenager after he died.

Full video from another angle posted

Since the incident, the guards involved have been taken off front-line duty amid both police and company investigations of the development.

Another angle from the initial video of the shooting scene.

John Azar, head of KingAlarm, the company to which the security guards are attached, told Loop News last week that the decision to take the guards off front-line duty was taken to facilitate the investigations.

A release was also sent out by the company, providing further details of the incident.

The release mentioned the initial video that was circulating on social media of the incident.

 “In light of images circulating on social media over…, and speculation surrounding ‎the recent fatal shooting incident on Brentford Road (renamed Studio One Boulevard)…, KingAlarm would like to state the following, based on our preliminary reports:

“One of our KingAlarm armed response teams was carrying out their duties on Brentford Road (renamed Studio One Boulevard) on the night of July 10. Having just responded to an intrusion alarm at a nearby premises shortly before midnight, three young men called out to the team (members) who were in the process of departing the area,” the release stated.

“The team came to a stop, at which point the three individuals approached the vehicle on foot and begun to engage the driver in conversation at close range,” the release continued.

It said that during the course of the brief discussion, one of the individuals outside the vehicle ran unexpectedly, while another lifted his shirt with his right hand as if to show (that) he had no weapon, while simultaneously and without warning reaching with his left hand for what appeared to be a firearm concealed to the back, left-hand side of his waistband.

“The driver of the KingAlarm vehicle, who was in closest proximity to the men, reacted quickly, discharging his licensed firearm in the direction of the man. The individual in question fell to the ground, while the third person attempted to flee and was subsequently detained,” the release stated.

The imitation firearm that was reportedly taken from the 16-year-old boy who was shot dead by a security guard in Cross Roads, St Andrew last week. 

Azar said the police were immediately alerted by the company’s command centre about what had taken place, and the police arrived at the scene shortly after. The apprehended individual was handed over to them.

“The injured man was taken to the Kingston Public hospital by the police, aided by our personnel, where he was subsequently pronounced dead,” the KingAlarm release continued.

“The firearm was retrieved from the scene and handed over to police immediately upon their arrival. Same was subsequently discovered to be an imitation weapon,” the release further stated.

Since the reports from the security company, social media users have raised a number or questions about the incident, but generally indicated that they will await the conclusion of the police’s investigation of the matter.

With the emergence of a clearer video of the incident, Azar has further commented on the matter.

“Our position pertaining to last week's fatal shooting, as tragic and unfortunate as it clearly was, (as) being a justifiable use of force in light of the circumstances, remains, and is perhaps even more so true in light of additional information unearthed during the course of our ongoing internal investigation,” said Azar in another release.

“I would rather not comment further on the details ‎of that investigation, aside from assuring the public that we are co-operating fully with the police, and that our ongoing internal investigation will, as always, be a thorough and transparent one wherein independent subject matter experts are engaged as and when required,” added Azar.

“As is the norm, at the conclusion of any such investigation, if any of our personnel are found to have been in breach of our code of conduct, to include our use of force, rules of engagement and/or our human rights awareness policies, we would take the appropriate action.

“Speaking specifically to the new video footage, it should put to rest some of the speculation that has been making the rounds on social media.‎ I urge persons to refrain from making certain unsubstantiated and inaccurate accusations, especially while the investigations are ongoing, and when it is apparent from some of the comments being made, that certain critical information may not yet be in the public domain,” further stated the second KingAlarm release.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: