Wednesday 12 December, 2018

US TV airs OJ Simpson's 'hypothetical' account of killings

(Image: AP: File image of OJ Simpson)

(Image: AP: File image of OJ Simpson)

A US TV network has aired what it called a “lost” interview with former NFL star OJ Simpson in which he discusses his “hypothetical” involvement in the 1994 murders of his ex-wife and her friend.

The footage, broadcast by Fox on Sunday night, dates back to 2006. It features Simpson answering questions in an interview with a publisher to promote his book, entitled “If I did it: Confessions of a Killer”.

The book and the interview were subsequently shelved because of ongoing public concern and anger over the case. Twelve years on, Fox broadcast the interview footage as part of a two-hour special called “OJ Simpson: The Lost Confession”.

Simpson was acquitted in 1995 of stabbing Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman to death, following a highly controversial trial that both captivated and divided the US. Goldman’s family subsequently won a civil wrongful death claim against him, and substantial damages.

In the Fox interview, Simpson offers what he calls a hypothetical account of what might have happened.

He mentions a friend, who he identifies only as “Charlie”, who he says accompanied him to the house in Brentwood, Los Angeles, where the murders occurred. He says a confrontation occurred with Goldman.

"As things got heated, I just remember Nicole fell and hurt herself and this guy [Goldman] kind of got into a karate thing. And I said, 'Well, you think you can kick my ass?’” Simpson said.

"I remember I grabbed the knife, I do remember that portion, taking the knife from Charlie and to be honest, after that I don't remember, except I'm standing there and there's all kinda stuff around," he went on. Asked to clarify the meaning of “stuff”, he said: “Blood and stuff.”

He then laughed and said “I hate to say this, but this is hypothetical.”

Asked again about his remarks on the blood, he says: “I don’t think any two people could have been murdered the way they were without everything being covered in blood. We’ve all seen the grisly pictures after. Everything was covered, would have been covered in blood.”

Fox executive producer Terry Wrong said last week that the families of those who died had approved broadcast of the footage.

"While justice has eluded our family, Fox Entertainment enables everyone to make their own judgment," a statement from the Goldman family quoted by US broadcaster CNN said.

Fox had reached out to Simpson but had not received a response, it said. Simpson, 70, was released from prison last year after serving nine years for armed robbery and kidnapping in an unrelated crime.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: