Ten things to know about Shericka Jackson
Shericka Jackson, of Jamaica, celebrates winning bronze in the women's 400m final at the World Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar, Thursday, Oct. 3, 2019. (AP Photo/Martin Meissner).
Jamaica’s Shericka Jackson won her second individual World Championship medal over 400 metres when she ran a big personal best of 49.47 for the bronze in a blistering one-lap race inside the Khalifa International Stadium in Doha, Qatar, on Thursday.
This follows her bronze medal run in the 2015 edition of the World Championships in Beijing, China.
Jackson’s medal this time around was special as she competed in one of the fastest 400-metre races ever run.
Pre-race favourite, Shaunae Miller-Uibo of The Bahamas, ran a personal best of 48.37 but was well beaten by Bahrain’s Salwa Eid Naser who ran a blistering 48.14, the third-fastest time ever over the distance.
Jackson’s teammate, Stephenie Ann McPherson, finished sixth.
Below are 10 things to know about Shericka Jackson:
1. Jackson is 25-years-old. She was born in St Ann, Jamaica on July 16, 1994.
2. The St Ann native is based at the MVP Track Club at the University of Technology in Papine, St Andrew. She is trained by world-renowned coach, Stephen Francis.
3. Jackson attended Vere Technical High and while at school competed in several events, including the 100 and 200 metres.
4. The former Vere Technical standout has won the 200m at the National trials and has represented Jamaica in the event from the youth level.
5. At the 2016 Rio Olympics, Jackson won bronze in the 400 metres and a silver medal with the 4x400m relay team.
6. Jackson won gold with the 4x400 m relay team at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing, China, and bronze in the 400m.
7. The MVP athlete has had a good run of form since 2018. She finished second in the 400m at the 2018 Commonwealth Games in Gold Coast, Australia and that same year won the 200m at the NACAC Championships in Toronto, Canada. At that same meet, Jackson helped the 4x400m team to the silver medal.
8. In August, 2019 Jackson won the 400m at the Pan Am Games in Lima, Peru, signalling that she was ready to take on the World’s best in Doha.
9. Shericka Jackson was signed by Puma in January 2017.
10. In August 2015 after qualifying for the final of the 400m at the World Championships in Beijing, Jackson said that she hated the event. Jackson pointed out then that she was more of a 200-metre type of athlete.