Tuesday 15 October, 2019

Teenagers killed in May Pen; Mike Henry responds to development

Mike Henry

Mike Henry

The bloodletting in Clarendon from rampaging gunmen continued on Monday night when two male teens were shot dead in the crime-plagued community of Effortville in the parish capital, May Pen.

The killings bring to five the number of persons murdered within a four-day period in the troubled parish, where stakeholders have been calling for a state of emergency (SOE) to be imposed since last year.

Those killed on Monday night have been identified as 18-year-old Najar Ferguson of Hill Top, and Shavour Henry, 18, of Giran Avenue, both in Effortville.

Police reports are that about 11:00 p.m., the teenagers were sitting in a yard in Effortville, when they were ambushed by armed men.

The men opened fire, hitting Ferguson and Henry multiple times before fleeing the scene.

The police were alerted and upon their arrival, Henry and Ferguson were transported to hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

Investigators are continuing their search for the gunmen who carried out the attack.

The double murder in Effortville follows closely on the heels of a triple murder that jolted May Pen on Thursday night, February 28.

The deceased then were three men, including two brothers, who were killed by gunmen on Chapelton Road in the town.

The victims were identified as Jerome Williams, 27, and Calvin Williams, both of Comfort district in Clarendon, and Bartholomew Blair, 41, of Bartons district in St Catherine.

Reports from the May Pen police were that about 8:30 p.m., citizens heard explosions and summoned the police.

On their arrival, a motor vehicle was seen with two bodies inside, and one of the men was found outside the unit.

All the men had gunshot wounds.

The crime scene was processed and the bodies were removed to the morgue, pending post-mortem examinations.

A probe is ongoing into that incident.

In response to the overall development, Central Clarendon Member of Parliament (MP), Mike Henry, told Loop News that he has been in touch with National Security Minister, Dr Horace Chang, since the latest killings, and he is optimistic that “something positive will be realised to stem the extreme violence that is being experienced in sections of the constituency, including in the Effortville area.”

Henry noted that as a consequence of the killings on Monday night, almost no student turned out for school on Tuesday at Effortville Primary School.

“I am seeking the sort of arrangements to decisively tackle the overall problem, including to calm the problem in the Effortville area, and the matter has been taken to the level of my colleague, Dr Chang, because it is that serious,” said Henry, who is Minister without Portfolio in the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM).    

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

  

Comments