Monday 16 December, 2019

Seven held in Anti-Lottery Scam operation now charged

File photo of alleged Jamaican lottery scammers being carted off to the United States of America to stand trial.

File photo of alleged Jamaican lottery scammers being carted off to the United States of America to stand trial.

The seven persons who were apprehended last week Saturday during an Anti-Lottery Scam operation in Western Jamaica have now been charged.

 Detectives from the Major Organized Crime and Anti-Corruption Agency (MOCA) told Loop News that charges were laid on Friday against the individuals who were held in the raids which were carried out in St James and Westmoreland.

Police said the names of the individuals will be released in a matter of hours.

Reports are that on Saturday, October 7 at approximately 5:00am, a team of MOCA officials, members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, Jamaica Defence Force and the Financial Investigation Divisions carried out several raids in Farm Hill and Farm Heights, St James as well as premises in Bethel Town, Logwood and Coral Springs in Westmoreland to target persons involved in the illicit lottery scam.

During the clamp down seven persons were held and several items used in the multi-million underground lotto scamming trade seized.

In April of this year eight alleged Jamaican lottery scammers were carted off to the United States of America to stand trial for a number of offences they are accused of committing against residents of that North American country.

The accused scammers, five men and three women, including a member of the Jamaica Constabulary Force, were nabbed in an operation that saw 10 Jamaican and US agencies collaborating to form the Jamaica Operations Linked to Telemarketing (JOLT) task force.

The eight are accused of bilking millions of US dollars from US citizens in the lottery scam.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: