Saturday 8 August, 2020

Seven flights to touch down with tourists on Monday

The reopening of the tourism sector will get underway on Monday, June 15, with seven flights carrying stopover visitors into the country.

The revelation was made by tourism minister Edmund Bartlett during a digital press conference on Thursday.

He further disclosed that by Tuesday, June 30, the number of these flights are expected to reach 70.

He said during the two weeks the flights are projected to bring in between 5,000 to 6,000 stopover visitors.

"It's a start, and it's a start that is going to be vital because we need to ensure that the capacity is there to manage that kind of flow," the tourism minister stated.

He also described the bookings following the initial two-week reopening as "reasonably robust", which drives the expectation of a favourable winter season.

"We're seeing an uptick. We are looking at in the region of 40-45 per cent of last year, between July and August. We will see a dip in September and October, but we're beginning to see the pacing for November also picking up strong, trending towards a good winter," Bartlett said.

The tourism sector was forced to lockdown as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

  

Comments