Second Wolmer’s shooting threat suspect taken into custody
Signs of the heavy security presence at Wolmer's Boys' School in Kingston on Monday following the shooting threat relative to the school.
A second suspect is now in custody in connection to the incident where a student of the institution reportedly threatened to carry out a mass shooting at Wolmer’s Boys’ School in Kingston on Monday.
High-level police sources from the Counter-Terrorism and Organised Crime (C-TOC) arm of the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) told Loop News that the suspect was taken in custody on Monday and is still being questioned at this time.
The second suspect has been described as a past student of a prominent high school in the parish of Kingston, but the source did not disclose if that meant Wolmer’s Boys’ School.
The latest suspect is being questioned alongside the student who is believed to have sent an audio clip issuing threats that he was planning to become the next school shooter.
Police said the student who is believed to have issued the threat is being questioned for the second time since the incident was reported on Monday.
They said the Wolmer’s student, whose parents were also brought into the picture, was taken to medical experts on Monday to undergo a psychiatric evaluation.
Head of C-TOC, Assistant Commissioner Fitz Bailey, when contacted by Loop News a short while ago, confirmed the reports, but declined to disclose too much about the investigation.
Police sources, however, said the second student is being questioned to find out in what ways, and to what extent, he may have influenced the student who is believed to have issued the threats.
The sources said while no action has been taken against the offending student so far, his actions could have seriously implications for him if he intends to travel overseas, as such actions are viewed extremely seriously by most overseas authorities.
Following the incident on Monday, there was a high security presence at the school arising from the circulation of the voice note with threatening messages purported to have been from the particular student.
A high-level investigative team, headed by ACP Bailey, quickly began probing the threat that was issued against students of the Heroes Circle-based institution.
“An active, multi-agency investigation is now under way, and the matter is being treated with the highest level of attention,” an investigator said on Monday morning.
The police also urged individuals to desist from circulating the audio clip, as it is believed that it will cause undue anxiety within the society.
In the more than 10-minute-long voice note, a boy can be heard expressing frustration over issues like calling his peers by phone and not being answered.
He further complained about being “ostracised” within the institution, and the society putting him in “a box with sickos”.
In the rant, he chided so-called “friends” of his, whom he said don’t remember his name or his birthday, and ignore him when they see him on the road.
He then lists a number of names of fellow students, before issuing a violent threat against them.
In the meantime, the Police High Command is asking persons who may have information that can assist with the investigation by C-TOC, to contact that police arm at 967-1389 or call 811, Crime Stop at 311, or use the Stay Alert App, to submit information.