Saturday 11 July, 2020

Questions swirling around woman’s ‘suicide’ death in police custody

An increasing number of questions are swirling around the death of a woman, supposedly by suicide, in custody at the Half-Way Tree Police Station in St Andrew on Thursday.

The woman, whose body was discovered in the holding area at the station, has been identified as Desreen Morris, a resident of Love Lane in downtown Kingston, and a mother of two.

The police reported Morris was arrested on a warrant and placed in the holding area, and left there for short while.

It was claimed that on their return, the woman was found hanging from a beam in the holding area, with indications that she used a piece of her clothing to hang herself.

But news of the incident has not gone down well with Morris’ family members, who have reacted in shock and with anger at the development.

The family members have refuted the claims that were made by the police, stating that the mother of two would never have taken her own life and left her children behind.

“This lady is my aunty. First of all, she would never commit suicide, leaving her two children behind. She was seen in the morning by a family member when the police came to pick her up at her home at 10:00 a.m. on Thursday. She was in a perfectly good state (of mind), nothing out the norm,” said a woman who claimed to be a family member of the victim. She reached out to Loop News via social media.

“She was pronounced dead at 5:00 p.m., and officers informed my family at 10:00 p.m., that she had committed suicide,” said the ‘family member’.

“An officer told one of my cousins that she hanged herself with her top. They then took her body away to the morgue before even informing my family of anything,” the woman claimed.

“Now people, what part in this makes any sense? There are so many unanswered questions here, and each time the police keep coming up with a different story. Now if this is exactly what happened, why the change of story?” the ‘family member’ asked.

News of the death has triggered an investigation by the Independent Commission of Investigation (INDECOM), from where a source told Loop News that the incident is presently being treating as a death in custody case.

Several officers from the station have been asked to provide statements following the incident, the INDECOM source stated.

And as the investigations intensify, other social media users have raised questions as to how such an incident took place in close proximity to officers who were on guard at the facility.

For breaking news, download our app at for Android; and at for IoS.






Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: