Monday 13 July, 2020

Police point to more use of 'hitmen' by scammers against rivals

The police are now pointing to Individuals who are involved in the deadly lotto scam as increasingly using third party contract killers to get rid of their competitors in a deadly tit-for-tat scheme.

Indications are that as the authorities step up security focus on a number of hotspot areas where members of scamming outfits normally operate, the deadly tactic of using contract killers has been increasingly adopted by scammers as a method to get rid of their rivals in a more discrete manner than with their own direct involvement, which allows them to more easily remain under the radar of law enforcement officers.

Police who have confirmed the development, said the most recent case on their roster was on Friday in St Mary, where a group of gunmen went to carry out a deadly attack on a lotto scamming syndicate operating in the parish.

“Investigations have indicated that the men were contracted by someone in the Corporate Area to rob and kill members of an alleged lotto scamming syndicate operating in St Mary,” a police source told Loop News.

The reports have since been confirmed by the Police High Command.

The hitmen who went to St Mary were stopped in their tracks by a team of lawmen in the parish.

Reports are that two of the men who were attempting to carry out the criminal acts were killed during a shootout with law enforcement officers in Islington, St Mary on Friday night.

The men have been identified as 26-year-old Shavaughn Gordon of Smith Lane, Kingston, and 38-year-old Kadini Harrison, otherwise called ‘Kaddi’, of Baccas Wood, Islington, St Mary.

Two illegal guns were reportedly found during a search for the men after the exchange of gunfire.

According to the police's Corporate Communications Unit (CCU), "the Jamaica Constabulary Force’s strategy to deal with the displacement of criminals resulted in the plans of four men (mainly) from Kingston, contracted to carry out killings and robberies in St Mary, being thwarted when they were intercepted on Sports Road in Islington."

Reports are that about 11:30 p.m., a team of officers was on patrol in the area when the driver of a Nissan Bluebird motorcar with the men aboard was signaled to stop.

The driver complied, but the men opened gunfire at the police from the vehicle.

The attack was repelled and the men abandoned the car and ran.

A search of the community was later conducted and the bodies of two of the men were found.

A .357 Magnum handgun with six expended cartridge casings, and a Colt pistol with six .45 cartridges, along with a plastic glove with eleven .45 cartridges, were reportedly found.

For breaking news, download our app at for Android; and at for IoS.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: