Friday 10 July, 2020

Police commissioner chases 'unruly motorist' during curfew hours

A motorist has found himself in hot water after he reportedly breached a curfew order, ran a red light and allegedly ignored a warning from the police commissioner who he later led on a high-speed chase through sections of Kingston.

The incident ended with the police commissioner and another senior cop chasing down and later arresting the driver, police sources told Loop News.

The driver has been identified as a 34-year-old resident of a St Andrew address.

Reports are that on Thursday, April 30 about 8.15 pm at the Intersection Constant Spring Road and Oliver Road, a man was seen driving a 2011 Silver Suzuki Swift motor car heading in a northerly direction when it was stopped by Major General Antony Anderson, Commissioner of Police after disobeying a red light. 

Reports are that police commissioner began speaking to the driver about the breach and he (the motorist) started to behave in a disorderly manner and not complying with instructions given by the head of the Jamaica Constabulary Force.  

Reports are that a deputy superintendent, travelling in a private motor car, saw what was happening and also responded. 

Reports are that the commissioner of police intercepted the Suzuki swift in the vicinity of the Constant Spring market and again identified himself to the driver and pointed out the offence of running the red light. 

The driver then became boisterous and started to become abusive. The Suzuki then drove off in a careless and dangerous manner,” police sources told Loop News.

Reports are that the commissioner of police attempted to intercept the Suzuki at the next traffic light in the vicinity of the bridge and once again with blue flashing lights he identified himself. 

It is not clear how many members of the police commissioner's security details were with him if any at the time.

Police sources claim there were shouts from the driver of the Suzuki of "mi no care a who you be bwoy" 

Reports are that the driver of the Suzuki then drove off again and as the commissioner attempted to intercept the swift again with blue flashing lights the driver of the Suzuki attempted in a manner likely to collide in the service vehicle.

Reports are that a deputy superintendent of police (DSP) was passing in his private motor car saw what was happening and joined in and with the help of the commissioner intercepted the Suzuki motor car. 

The DSP then alighted from his private motor car and requested the documents of the Suzuki from the driver, sources reported.

Allegations are that the driver responded "mi nah give you none and mi want your badge number because you nah go hear di end a dis bwoy" 

Reports from police sources are that the driver became loud and aggressive to the disturbance of the public while hurling abusive language at the commissioner. 

The driver of the Suzuki motor car was cautioned, arrested and taken into custody for the offences of disobeying a red light, breach of curfew orders, failing to produce documents for inspection, dangerous driving, disorderly conduct, use of abusive and calumnious language. 

The Suzuki motor car was wrecked to the Constant Spring Police Station and placed in the pound.

Reports are that the motorist has since been taken into custody.

Checks were made with senior members of the police high command to gather more information on the incident but officers declined to comment.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: