Phillips announces political team to support shadow cabinet members
In seeking to ramp up pressure on the Government heading into the last 16 months of the current political term, Opposition Leader, Dr Peter Phillips, on Thursday announced the appointment of a 12-member political portfolio support team to work alongside the 20-member shadow cabinet that he also named on Thursday.
Phillips said he appointed the 12-member team in keeping with the principle of broadening experience within the party’s leadership.
“They will work closely with portfolio shadow ministers and their task forces, while sharing their professional skills, and assist in engaging various stakeholder groups throughout the country,” Phillips said of the political support team.
The appointees are:
· Councillor Venesha Phillips - National Security
· Patricia Duncan Sutherland - Education and Training
· Dr Walton Small – Education and Training
· Dr Shane Alexis – Health and Wellness
· Imani Duncan-Price – Industry, Competitiveness and Global Logistics
· Wavell Hinds - Sports
· Andre Hylton – Transport and Works
· Valenton Wint - Mining and Energy
· Ewan Stephenson - Agriculture and Rural Development
· Mark Malabver - Water, Environment and Climate Change.
· Joan Gordon-Webley – Local Government
· Zuleika Jess – Social Transformation, Community Development and Culture.
Phillips, in a statement on the new shadow cabinet, extended gratitude to the outgoing members of the previous shadow cabinet for their service to the party and country.
The new shadow cabinet will hold its first meeting on Monday, October 7.