Sunday 29 November, 2020

Palace Amusement postpones drive-in cinema launch 

The Palace Amusement Company Limited (PAL) has announced that it has postponed Friday's launch of its drive-in cinema at Dominica Drive in New Kingston until further notice. 

"Sadly, due to major technical difficulties that arise at our test run on Thursday, October 22, we are unable to launch our Drive-in Cinema as planned until further notice," PAL said in a statement on Twitter.

"We thank everyone who took the time to come to our test run and we appreciate your interest, support and feedback. We are working to ensure that when we do launch, it will be seamless and deliver the quality standard and service you deserve," the statement added.

The company had revealed in September that it had secured a license for the operation of a drive-in cinema.

The company, via a notice on the Jamaica Stock Exchange at that time, said the opening was subject to directives from the government for the operation of cinemas and places of entertainment during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Fast forward to this week, Palace Amusement had detailed plans on its Twitter account for the launch of its first drive-in cinema experience on Friday, with the showing of the movie 'War with Grandpa.'

The Box Office was set to open at 6 pm, with showtime commencing at 6:30 pm, half-hour earlier than the previously announced times of 6.30 pm and 7 pm respectively. 

The company noted that the adjustment in time was to facilitate persons in their efforts to reach home in time for the start of the islandwide curfew at 9 pm. 

Despite the postponement, Palace Amusement has urged interested persons to "stay tuned" for its new date of the launch of the drive-in cinema. 

The company had reopened its cinemas on July 8, following the advisory from the government that cinemas and places of entertainment could reopen.

The island subsequently entered the community spread phase of the COVID-19 pandemic with numbers of those infected rising by 300 per cent since July 5, to over 3,000 individuals infected.
 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: