Saturday 24 August, 2019

NCB fights ABM fraud with islandwide upgrades

The National Commercial Bank Jamaica (NCB) has upgraded 80 per cent of its ABM machines in its continued fight against fraud.  The remaining 20 per cent is scheduled for upgrading in May 2019.

This upgrade programme is part of a $2 billion investment by the bank in fraud analytics tools, technology and infrastructure, which the bank has been continuously rolling out since 2016.

In making the announcement today, NCB said the new ABMs will have enhanced security features to mitigate fraud attempts by criminals.

Lloyd Parchment, Manager of Fraud Prevention at NCB said:  “With the increased occurrence of fraud at ABMs and Point-of-Sale (POS) terminals, both globally and locally, NCB continues to make every effort to protect its customers and businesses from the repercussions of criminal activities. Therefore, this latest island wide upgrade of our ABM network is just one of the many measures the bank has been taking to safeguard transactions by our clients.”

“We understand that customers will experience some inconvenience while we carry out these upgrades. However, they will still be able to get cash by accessing other NCB ABMs close by or taking advantage of NCB’s other convenient payment options such as Quisk or Point-Of-Sale terminals. We want to assure our customers that every effort is being made to have the upgrades done quickly and efficiently, so we seek their indulgence and understanding in our attempts to serve them even better,” he continued.

Among other security measures being instituted by NCB, is the upgrading of the current credit cards to chip-enabled EMV credit cards and the configuration of its Point-of Sale terminals to accept them. 

NCB also recently launched an online dispute resolution portal to give customers the power to create and track transaction disputes, submit complaints, block and un-block lost or stolen credit cards and make requests for a new card within a matter of minutes.

“We are doing everything possible to protect the rights of our customers, but we also want them to protect themselves. On visiting an ABM, please cover the area where you enter your pin, keep an eye out for any unusual devices or activities inside the ABM and pay attention to your surroundings. Most importantly, we encourage you to report any issues to us right away so we can fix them as soon as possible,” Mr. Parchment continued.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: