Monkey passes out for 10 hours from overdose after stealing coffee
A baby monkey in Thailand collapsed and had to receive emergency treatment after an overdose of caffeine.
The monkey, which is about six months old, passed out for 10 hours after drinking a cup of strong coffee he stole from a tourist's motorbike in Thai capital Bangkok's Bang Khun Thien district.
The long-tailed macaque jumped on to the tourist's motorbike and quickly drink the coffee. As soon as the monkey leapt off the motorbike he collapsed, to the horror of nearby tourists.
The tourists raised the alarm and veterinarians were quickly on the scene, administering emergency aid in the form of a carbon and saline solution until the money finally came around at 3 am the next morning.
The "Khon Rak Ling Hua Jai Kraeng" online community page reported the incident, saying that the monkey had probably tried to follow the tourist who had been sipping from the drink a short while before.
Once vets were confident that the monkey had recovered properly and was suffering no ill effects, it was released back into the care of its troop.
A warden has been asked to keep an eye on the monkey, and they also advise members of the public to be more careful in leaving food and drinks around in areas frequented by long-tailed macaques.
Animal wardens say the macaques should only be given fruit and vegetables, at designated areas.