MOH seeks to assure public as dengue, gastroenteritis worries increase
The Ministry of Health says it is working to ensure the timely delivery of health care amidst an upsurge in visits to Accident & Emergency Units at public hospitals for suspected dengue, gastroenteritis and flu-like or upper respiratory illness.
Children with symptoms of these conditions can now access the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) for assessment and treatment. Those aged 12 years and younger will access those services free of cost, until further notice, ministry officials said in a release.
Health officials also sought to remind the public about changes in hours of service at select health centres in Kingston and St Andrew:
- Nannyville Health Centre will now provide services five days per week (Mondays to Fridays) from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
- Olympic Gardens Health Centre will now offer extended hours five days per week (Mondays to Fridays) from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
The Glen Vincent Health Centre will continue to offer extended hours of services five days per week (Mondays to Fridays) from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm; while Slipe Pen Road Comprehensive will continue to offer extended hours, five days per week (Mondays to Fridays) from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm.
The Stony Hill Health Centre will also continue to offer extended hours of service three days per week – on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays – from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm while the Duhaney Park Health Centre will offer extended hours three days per week on Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays. Duhaney Park will open from 8:00 am to 8:00 pm on Mondays and Wednesdays, and from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm on Saturdays.
Health centres in the following parishes also continue to have extended opening hours up to 8:00 pm.
- St. Catherine: St. Jago Park Health Centre (Mondays to Fridays with the exception of fourth Fridays); and Greater Portmore Health Centre (Mondays to Fridays).
- St. Ann: St. Ann’s Bay Health Centre (Mondays to Fridays).
- Manchester: Spaulding Health Centre (Mondays to Fridays).
- St. Mary: Annotto Bay (Mondays); Highgate (Wednesdays); Oracabessa (Tuesdays and Wednesdays); and Gayle (Mondays and Wednesdays).
- St Thomas: Morant Bay Health Centre (Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays).
- The Mandeville Comprehensive Clinic in Manchester and the May Pen Health Centre in Clarendon have extended opening hours Mondays to Fridays up to 9:00 pm.
The Savanna-la-Mar Health Centre in Westmoreland is also open five days per week –Mondays to Thursdays up to 10:00 pm and Fridays up to 9:00 pm.
The Montego Bay Type V in St James is open seven days per week – Mondays to Thursdays up to 10:00 pm; Fridays up to 9:00 pm and on Saturdays and Sundays, up to 6:00 pm.
For more information, members of the public can contact the Ministry of Health at 888-ONE-LOVE (663-5683).