Wednesday 23 January, 2019

Media reports about Yohan Blake exaggerated, says Cubie Seegobin

2011 World Championship 100m gold medallist, Yohan Blake (right) and manager Cubie Seegobin.

2011 World Championship 100m gold medallist, Yohan Blake (right) and manager Cubie Seegobin.

Cubie Seegobin, the manager for 2011 World 100m champion, Yohan Blake,  has blasted media reports for trying to put a negative spin to Blake taking orders from another coach.

 

Blake and head coach of Racers Track Club, Glen Mills who have had a relationship dating back 10 years, both confirmed a split earlier this week.

 

“A tempest in a teapot,” is how Seegobin described the development while speaking with Loop Sports as he insisted that the media reports were exaggerated.

 

"Yohan hasn’t packed his bag. He is still at Racers Track Club and is using the Mills programme.  He is still in the organization,” Seegobin insisted.

 

Seegobin’s main concern was that the stories, as carried by sections of the media, could affect Blake’s ability to earn.

 

According to Seegobin, the club has a number of coaches and next week you could hear that Mills could be coaching Blake again. He also suggested that this was normal at some track clubs.

 

Meanwhile, Blake is now being conditioned by longstanding technical director at Racers Track Club, Patrick Dawson, who has indicated that he has been doing so for about a month.

 

Ironically, Blake will continue to train at the iconic club that is based at the Mona Campus of the University of the West Indies and was also the club of sprint legend Usain Bolt, who was training partner to Blake.

Blake told journalists at the launch of the Sagicor Sigma Corporate Run on Wednesday at the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel that his focus is to remain healthy as he prepares for the 17th edition of the IAAF World Championships to be held in Doha, Qatar, later this year.

He famously became the youngest World Champion over 100 metres in 2011 when, at 21-years-old, he sped to victory in Daegu, South Korea. This, after his much more heralded countryman and training partner Bolt, was disqualified following a false start.

The following year the St Jago High School star would cement his place as the second fastest man in history behind Bolt over 100 and 200 metres when he sped to times of 9.69 seconds and 19.26 seconds.  Since then he has failed to capture his best form as he has been plagued by a series of injuries that have kept him off the track for long periods.

On Wednesday he said he was in the best shape he has been in for a long time and hopes to keep it that way as he looks forward to competing in 2019.

“I have some 400 metres in mind, but I am just waiting to see what Patrick Dawson has in store for me. My body is great, I haven't felt like this since 2012 and I am feeling really good,” Blake told journalists.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: