Wednesday 12 August, 2020

Jamaica records eight new coronavirus cases

Jamaica has confirmed eight new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) in the island over the last 24 hours, bringing the total number of COVID-19 infections to 745. 

All eight new cases are imported/import-related, according to the Ministry of Health and Wellness.

The new cases consist of five males and three females with ages ranging from 20 to 52 years. Six cases have been classified as imported, having arrived on flights from the United States recently. Those have addresses of residence in St Catherine (2), St James (2), Westmoreland (1) and St Ann (1). The other two cases are contacts of imported cases (import-related), residing in St Catherine (1) and St James (1).

In the meantime, eight more COVID-19 patients recovered and have been released from isolation over the last 24 hours, bringing the total recoveries to 599 and the recovery rate to 80.4 per cent.

There are now 121 (16.2 per cent) active cases under observation in Jamaica, while 15 (two per cent) cases were repatriated to their country of origin. There is no moderately ill or critically ill patient at this time, the ministry said.

A total of 6,906 persons-of-interest are in home quarantine, while eight are quarantined at government facilities.

Jamaica now has 227 imported cases; 236 cases that are contacts of confirmed cases; 39 local transmission cases not epidemiologically linked; 236 related to the workplace cluster in St. Catherine and seven under investigation.

Females account for 56 per cent (419) of all confirmed cases and the remaining 44 per cent (326) are males. The ages of all confirmed cases range from two months to 87 years.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: