Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos tops best beach list
(File image of a tropicl beach via iStock)
Grace Bay in Turks and Caicos has reclaimed the top spot in TripAdvisor’s annual Traveller’s Choice awards for the world’s top beaches, knocking last year’s winner Baia do Sancho in Brazil back into second place.
Located on the island of Providenciales, Turks and Caicos’ commercial and tourism hub, Grace Bay boasts a long stretch of soft sand round a beautiful clear bay.
“This picturesque beach is amazingly lovely,” wrote one reviewer on the travel-booking website. “While many areas are crowed, the beach is so long and wide there are places to find ideal quiet spots as well.
“This is a beach for all ages and swimming abilities. While many times I find the beaches overrated, this wasn't one of those times. The hype is for real.”
Many reviewers praised the cleanliness of both the sand and the sea. “The water consists of multiple shades of blue and you can get lost in the horizon...the clouds are breathtaking,” wrote one happy visitor.
The Caribbean dominated the top 10, taking six slots. Cuba’s Varadero Beach came in at three, followed by Eagle Beach in Aruba at four and Seven Mile Beach in the Caymans at five.
Another Seven Mile Beach, in Negril, Jamaica, came in at eight, up seven places from the previous year, and was followed by Bavaro Beach in the Dominican Republic at nine.
The top European beach was Spain’s La Concha in San Sebastian, at six, and the top US beach was Florida’s Clearwater Beach, coming in at seven.
Beaches were ranked according to the quality and quantity of traveller reviews and ratings on TripAdvisor over the past year, the website said.
1) Grace Bay – Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
2) Baia do Sancho – Fernando de Noronha, Brazil
3) Varadero Beach – Varadero, Cuba
4) Eagle Beach – Palm - Eagle Beach, Aruba
5) Seven Mile Beach – Seven Mile Beach, Cayman Islands
6) La Concha Beach – San Sebastian – Donostia, Spain
7) Clearwater Beach – Clearwater, Florida
8) Seven Mile Beach – Negril, Jamaica
9) Bavaro Beach – Bavaro, Dominican Republic
10) Playa Norte – Isla Mujeres, Mexico