Fraser-Pryce, Gayle head nominees for Sportswoman and Sportsman Awards
Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce celebrates her gold medal in Doha.
Track superstars, Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce and Tajay Gayle headline nine women and five men for the 2019 RJRGleaner Sports Foundation Sportswoman and Sportsman Awards.
The announcement was made on Thursday at the National Sportsman and Woman of the Year Awards press launch at the Jamaica Pegasus hotel in New Kingston.
Fraser-Pryce had a solid 2019 season, which ended with two gold medals at the World Championships.
She became the first woman to win the 100 metres at four World Championships when she turned back the challenge of a quality field at the 2019 edition inside the Khalifa International Stadium in Doha, Qatar on September 29.
Fraser-Pryce clocked a fast 10.71 seconds, putting some serious distance between her and the rest of the field.
With the 100-metre victory at the World Championships, Fraser-Pryce won her first global medal as a mother; she gave birth to her son, Zyon, two years ago.
Fraser-Pryce was also a member of the women's 4x100-metre relay team that won the gold medal in Doha.
Gayle created history at the World Athletic Championship when he won the long jump in a big personal best and national record of 8.69 metres in Doha, Qatar.
While many in Doha anticipated the coronation of rising long jump star Juan Miguel Echevarria in Doha, it was instead Gayle who beat him to the punch with the longest wind-legal leap in the world for 10 years.
The performance, which is a world lead, immediately dislodged Echevarria from number 10 in the all-time World Lists and was also the longest jump seen in a World Championship final for 24 years - since Ivan Pedroso’s 8.70m leap in Gothenburg.
SPORTSWOMAN OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
(1) Alia Atkinson - FINA Swimming World Cup championship record
(2) Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce - World 100m champion
(3) Rushell Clayton - World Championships 400m hurdles bronze medallist
(4) Natoya Goule - Pan America Games 800m champion
(5) Shericka Jackson - World Championships 400m bronze medallist
(6) Shanieka Ricketts - World Championships triple jump silver medallist
(7) Danniel Thomas-Dodd - World Championships shot put silver medallist
(8) Elaine Thompson - Pan America Games 100m champion
(9) Danielle Williams - World Championships 100m hurdles bronze medallist
SPORTSMAN OF THE YEAR NOMINEES
(1) Tajay Gayle - World Championships long jump gold medallist.
(2) Fedrick Dacres - World Championships discus silver medallist.
(3) Christopher Binnie - Caribbean squash champion.
(4) Yona Knight-Wisdom - Pan American Games diving silver medallist.
(5) Travis Smikle - Pan American Games discus silver medallist.
2019 PEOPLE'S CHOICE 'PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR'
(1) Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce: Lightening Speed - Amazing gold medal run in the IAAF World Champions in a world leading 10.71 winning 100m
(2) Tajay Gayle: Earth shattering - Gold medal performance at IAAF World Championships with the longest jump in the world for 10 years
(3) Natoya Goule: Unrelenting - Determined win over 800m at the Pan American Games
(4) Shamar Nicholson: Priceless - Long distance strike in a game-winning friendly international against the United States
(5) Havana Solaun: Historic - Scored Jamaica's first-ever goal at the FIFA Women's World Cup
The awards will be presented on January 17, 2020.