Thursday 2 July, 2020

Former cop fails to get sentence reduced for public killing of lover

A former police constable who was convicted in 2016 for killing his girlfriend after she ended their relationship, has failed in his bid to have his minimum sentence of 25 years' imprisonment reduced.

The Court of Appeal has ruled that former Constable Lincoln McKoy's sentence was not excessive, and he should serve 25 years before being eligible for parole consideration.

McKoy, who was assigned to the Buff Bay Criminal Investigation Branch (CIB) office in Portland, shot and killed his lover, 21-year-old cashier, Jessica King, of Mill Bank in the parish, after the two had an argument which stemmed from claims that the woman decided to end the relationship.

It is alleged that after he killed King, shooting her twice at close range, to the throat and forehead, he then shot himself twice in an attempt at suicide.

The events occurred at the Errol Flynn Marina in Port Antonio at approximately 6pm on August 14, 2013.

The two injured persons were taken to the Port Antonio Hospital, where King was pronounced dead.

McKoy was treated and later airlifted to the Kingston Public Hospital (KPH) for further treatment.

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) later charged McKoy with murder.

At the trial, the crown depended on the evidence of two witnesses. A male witness said he heard the couple arguing on the day of the incident, and then explosions rang out.

A statement read at the trial from a female eyewitness, said McKoy had a handgun in his right hand, which he pointed it at the woman's face.

The witness recalled seeing King on her knees begging for her life from the constable.

The witness further said she got scared and started to run from the scene, when she heard "a gunshot" and saw McKoy with the gun in his outstretched right hand, according to the statement. 

But in his sworn testimony at the trial, McKoy denied any involvement in King's death, or that he shot himself.

He claimed that he and King were talking when they were attacked and shot.

However, he was convicted by a jury on April 13, 2016, in the Home Circuit Court, and weeks later, on May 6, 2016, trial Judge, Justice Lloyd Hibbert (now retired), sentenced the former constable to life imprisonment, ordering that he serve 25 years before being eligible for parole consideration.

McKoy appealed the sentence, which was dismissed.

The Court of Appeal, in its decision, said: "It cannot be reasonably said that the sentence he (the trial judge) imposed is manifestly excessive to warrant the intervention of this court. It is well within the established range of sentences for murder committed in these circumstances."

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: