Fire claims man and child’s lives in St Thomas community
A house fire claimed the life of two persons, including a five-year-old boy, in Middleton district in St Thomas on Sunday.
Reports indicate that sometime after 9:00 p.m., the man and the child returned home from a shop in the community, after which an explosion was heard and fire was seen coming from the wooden four-apartment house.
Community members ran to the assistance of the occupants of the house, but the raging fire quickly got out of control and engulfed the building.
The fire department was called, and a unit from the Morant Bay station responded.
While engaged in cooling down operations, the burnt remains of the man and the child were found in the rubble.
The child’s mother, who reportedly fainted at the tragic news, was rushed to hospital, where she remains admitted.
Preliminarily, it is believed that an electrical short-circuit caused the fire.