Sunday 16 June, 2019

Father freed of incest plans legal action against state

A businessman plans to pursue legal action against the state after he was freed in the Home Circuit Court of two counts of raping his 15-year-old daughter.

The 66-year-old man says his health and business have been severely impacted by the “malicious” action of the state in pursuing the “weak” case against him.

It was alleged that the offence was committed between May 2015 and October 2015. However, when the trial began last week, the complainant admitted in court that she had told lies on her father and he had never sexually assaulted her.

The Crown offered no further evidence in the case and Acting Supreme Court Judge Yvonne Brown directed the jury to return a formal verdict of not guilty. His daughter was meanwhile charged with mischief.

Attorney-at-law Hugh Wildman, who represented the businessman, says he plans to take legal action against the State for the long delay in having his case disposed and also for time spent in custody.

"(The businessman) says he believes that the case was weak and the complainant had indicated to the police that she had lied, but the police persisted with the prosecuting authorities, the Crown pursued it and had him in custody for a while, he believes that the state's action was malicious," Wildman told Loop News.

Wildman claimed that after the complainant gave the first statement, she gave four additional statements outlining why she told lies on the accused. Wildman said, based on the complainant’s statements, the prosecution should have thrown out the case and should not have the case dragging on in court.

For the latest news, download our app at http://bit.ly/GetALoopJM for Android; and at http://bit.ly/GetiLoopJM for IoS.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: