Thursday 13 August, 2020

Eight-month-old child latest COVID-19 case in Jamaica

A male infant, aged only eight months, is the latest confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) case in Jamaica.

The infant, with a St Catherine address, represents an imported case, having arrived on a flight from the United States.

The infant was the sole new case that was recorded within the last 24 hours into Wednesday afternoon, bringing the island’s recorded case count to 763.

Meanwhile, four more COVID-19 patients have recovered and have been released from care within the same 24-hour period.

Recoveries now stand at 647 (n 84.8 per cent rate).

There are now 83 (10.9 per cent) active cases under observation in Jamaica, while 23 cases have been repatriated to their countries of origin.

There are no moderately or critically ill patients locally at present.

Three persons of interest are in quarantine at Government facilities, while some 17,051 are quarantined at home.

The parish health departments are currently following 324 close contacts of confirmed cases.

The overall case classification now consists of 245 imported cases; 236 cases that are contacts of confirmed cases; 39 local transmission cases not epidemiologically linked; 236 related to the workplace cluster in St Catherine; and seven cases are under investigation.

The majority of all confirmed cases are females, with 429 (56 per cent), and the remaining 334 (44 per cent) are males. They range in age from two months to 87 years.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: