Thursday 9 July, 2020

Douglas Chambers’ murder was a contract killing, witness testifies

The 2008 murder of Douglas Chambers, then Chairman of the state-owned Jamaica Urban Transit Company (JUTC), was a contract killing, according to a witness at the trial of Tesha Miller, the then reputed leader of the notorious Spanish Town, St Catherine-based Klansman gang.

Miller is being tried for accessory to murder before and after the fact. His trial, which is being presided over by High Court Judge, Justice Georgianna Fraser, got underway on Wednesday in the Home Circuit Court in downtown Kingston.

Chambers was shot dead on June 27, 2008 at the gate of the JUTC’s Spanish Town depot at Twickenham Park.

The witness testified on Wednesday that Miller gave the order to kill Chambers. On Thursday he told the court that he knew it was a contract killing because Miller had told him so.

The witness who cannot be named based on an order from the court, is presently serving time for murder.

On Wednesday he identified himself as a member of the Klansman gang.

He said he collected extortion money from public passenger vehicle (PPV) operators and businesses in Spanish Town on behalf of the gang.

The witness told the court that he was present on the day Chambers was killed, as he was part of a group that Miller instructed to create a diversion outside the JUTC depot.

The witness said he observed what transpired while he stood across the road from the main gate to the depot.

The witness described in detail how Andre ‘Blackman’ Bryan and another man known as ‘Brucky’, parked a car near the entrance to the bus depot and pounced on Chambers as he walked towards the gate of the facility while smoking a cigarette.

Bryan, who was reportedly wearing a hooded shirt, was said to have approached and shot Chambers, who fell to the ground. ‘Brucky’ was said to have continued shooting Chambers while he was on the ground.

The witness also said he gave two guns to Bryan on the day of the shooting.

He told the court that Miller arranged for Bryan to be sent to the Cayman Islands by boat after Chambers was killed.

Bryan, who later emerged as a reputed leader of a breakaway faction of the Klansman gang, was in 2010 arrested and charged with Chambers’ murder after he was pointed out on an identification parade. He was acquitted of the killing some six years later but is presently before the courts on other criminal charges.

Miller’s trial is set to continue at 10am on Friday.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: