COVID-19 cases in Jamaica now at 25
Jamaica now has 25 confirmed cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) following the return of six additional positive tests over the last two days.
Ministry of Health and Wellness (MOHW) in a release on Tuesday provided a breakdown of the new cases.
They include: Two males, both 61-years-old, with a travel history that includes Trinidad, London, Egypt, and Dubai. They arrived in Jamaica on March 11. A 51-year-old Jamaican resident from Westmoreland with no travel history, but who was a contact of two previously confirmed cases.
A 58-year-old female, of a Kingston and St Andrew address, with a travel history from France and who returned to Jamaica on March 10. A 42-year-old male from Westmoreland, with a travel history to the United Kingdom, who returned to Jamaica on March 12.
A 61-year-old female from Clarendon, with a travel history that includes New York, Spain, France, and the United Kingdom. She returned to Jamaica on March 18 on flight BA2263.
She contacted the Ministry’s COVID-19 helpline when symptoms developed. This triggered the Rapid Response Team and she was taken into isolation, the MOHW said in the statement.
The Ministry said 17 of the 25 confirmed cases are imported; seven are imported-related and one remains under investigation.
Of those infected with the disease, 16 are males and nine are females. The youngest person to test positive is 24-years-old while the oldest is 79 years old.
Meanwhile, testing for the virus continues at the National Influenza Centre. To date, 150 samples have been tested with 25 being positive, 123 negative and two are pending.
The Ministry said some 514 persons have come into the island from a country of interest since January 31. Of that number, 14 are under quarantine in a Government facility and 237 are under home quarantine. The home quarantine numbers do not include the residents of Seven and Eight Miles Bull Bay or those of Corn Piece Settlement in Clarendon.