Thursday 28 May, 2020

Corporate Area woman with recent travel history picked up and tested

At least one of the persons who have been asked to report to the health authorities after having arrived in the island recently but failing to follow the applicable public quarantine protocol, has been picked up and tested for the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19).

Sources have indicated that officers from the Ministry of Health went to a Corporate Area community on Friday and picked up the woman who was exhibiting symptoms of COVID-19.

The woman is aged 76.

The development has reportedly caused concern among police personnel who serve the community, who are said to have indicated that the woman, if found to be carrying the virus, could have triggered more cases of the virus in the community where she has been in an unchecked state for some time.

"We understand that it is a process to confirm whether the woman has the virus or not, because the ministry has to do tests, but we are concerned that there is no move to quarantine the area out of an abundance of caution for residents (there) and first responders who work in the area. They need to speed up the process," a source close to the development told Loop News.

It is not clear if the woman had voluntarily informed the Ministry of Health or her situation came to the fore after she started exhibiting the symptoms of the virus.

The number of confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) infections worldwide has surpassed 1.1 million people, while almost 70,000 persons across 190 countries and territories have died from infections.

More than half of the world's population is now under lockdown conditions in a global effort to contain the novel coronavirus pandemic.

The number of confirmed cases in Jamaica climbed to 55 on Saturday.

On Friday the Jamaican Government also announced the extension of the closer of the island's borders for an additional 14 days.

Additionally, Prime Minister Andrew Holness issued his sternest warning yet to persons who landed in Jamaica over the period March 18–23, who have not reported to the health authorities, as required.

“These individuals will now be placed on a watch list and will be barred from leaving Jamaica. Why? They are the biggest threat at this time to the country’s efforts at stemming COVID-19. Further, the police will be going door-to-door in an effort to find these individuals,” Holness stated while speaking at a digital press briefing at Jamaica House.

The prime minister also reminded that failure to report to the health authorities comes with a fine of $1 million and/or imprisonment of 12 months, and added that the non-compliant persons had been banned from travelling out of the country.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free:

  

Comments