Sunday 16 June, 2019

Chinese to build Montego Bay bypass - Holness

Prime Minister Andrew Holness addresses 'labourites' at Sunday's conference. (PHOTO: Llewellyn Wynter)

Prime Minister Andrew Holness addresses 'labourites' at Sunday's conference. (PHOTO: Llewellyn Wynter)

The Chinese are to construct the long-awaited bypass road for Montego Bay, St James.

Prime Minister Andrew Holness made the announcement Sunday as he addressed the Jamaica Labour Party’s annual conference in Kingston.  He disclosed that construction of the bypass will get underway in 2018.

He said the Government was in the process of negotiating a loan with China Harbour Engineering Company to execute the project.

Holness told the conference that: “I’m pleased to report to you that ... we have settled the alignment of the road. We have started the process of negotiating the loan from China to actually build the road, and we expect to start construction on the by-pass for Montego Bay come next year."

The bypass will ease the severe traffic congestion that has plagued the downtown Montego Bay area for years. Business operators and commuters have often complained about the time lost in traffic.

Traffic literally came to a standstill last week when the downtown section of the city was flooded.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: