Sunday 5 July, 2020

Bus owner shot by cop during confrontation in Spalding now charged

A video screen shot of the recent confrontation between a bus owner and a police officer in Spalding on the Clarendon/Manchester border.

A video screen shot of the recent confrontation between a bus owner and a police officer in Spalding on the Clarendon/Manchester border.

The bus owner who was seen on a viral social media video challenging a police sergeant in Spalding on the Clarendon/Manchester border, and was later shot, reportedly has had several run-ins with the law.

The accused has been identified as 45-year-old Jermaine Reid and was allegedly convicted in the Turks and Caicos Islands on robbery and gun charges, which he was later freed of after a retrial.

Speaking at Thursday’s meeting of the Manchester Municipal Corporation, head of the parish’s police, Superintendent Wayne Cameron, said the bus owner has now been charged in relation to the confrontation with the police officer on Tuesday, February 5.

“He (Jermaine Reid) has been charged for assault OB (occasioning bodily) harm. He is also being charged for two counts of assault at common law; that is where he tried to disarm my sergeant, (and) for resisting arrest…,” Superintendent Cameron told the councillors.

Reid is to appear before the Manchester Parish Court on the charges next month, according to Cameron.

It was reported that a police sergeant was seizing Reid’s Toyota Coaster bus when an altercation developed. Amateur videos showed the bus owner shoving the policeman before charging violently at him. The cop, in response, pulled his firearm and fired shots, which hit the bus owner.

Meanwhile, Reid’s legal woes have stretched to St Ann, where he had three outstanding traffic warrants and was placed before the court there on Thursday.

“… And then when I checked into his (Jermaine Reid’s) background, (it was) recognised (that) there were three outstanding warrants for him at the Cave Valley Police Station in St Ann. Those have been executed on him. As we speak, he is in custody and heading to St Ann to be placed before the parish courts on the warrant(s),” Superintendent Cameron detailed.

He added that further checks revealed that Reid was deported after serving time in prison in the Turks and Caicos Islands.

“Further checks on him (Reid) revealed that he went to Turks and Caicos Islands (TCI) in 2006 on a work permit and…, so he is no stranger to police custody. In Turks and Caicos he was arrested and charged on suspicion of murder of a police officer. He was subsequently released,” Cameron said.

The police commander for Manchester added: “But still in Turks and Caicos in 2006, he (Jermaine Reid) was arrested and charged for robbery and illegal possession of firearm after he was identified as one of six men who allegedly held up the Amanyara Hotel, and he was sentenced to life imprisonment. However, he did two years and nine months and was deported...”

Checks made by Loop News indicated that Reid, according to an article published online in 2008 in the Turks and Caicos Islands, was among four individuals, including a local man, a Bahamian and a Guyanese, who were all found guilty of indecent assault, conspiracy to rob, two counts of robbery and wounding with intent in relation to the high-profile Amanyara Resort case.

The prosecution’s case was that the men allegedly conspired sometime before and, on April 25, 2006, went to the Amanyara Hotel, where they staged a masked, armed and violent attack on two guests in their hotel room.

According to the Turks and Caicos media report, after beating and robbing a security guard at the hotel, the men allegedly forced their way into the room of a male guest, who they beat and terrorised. They also reportedly robbed and indecently assaulted a guest before carrying out further robberies and assaults at offices at the hotel, before escaping.

After the men were convicted of the crimes, the convictions were appealed.

The Turks and Caicos Appeal Court later ruled that the Guyanese man be freed of all the charges, while the three other men, including Reid, faced a retrial.

At the end of the retrial in March of 2010, Reid, along with the other men, were freed of all the charges after a jury deliberated for some three hours.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: