Tuesday 11 August, 2020

Another double murder in Spanish Town

The bloodletting in the old capital of Spanish Town continued on Saturday night when two men were shot dead by gunmen in the March Pen Road area.

The deceased have been identified as 26-year-old Marvin McDonald and 22-year-old Ruben McLean, both of Spanish Town, St Catherine.

According to the police, about 11:55 p.m., the two men were in the vicinity of a plaza along March Pen Road, when they were approached by armed men.

The men opened fire at McDonald and McLean, who were both shot several times.

The gunmen then fled the scene.

The police were alerted and the wounded men were later pronounced dead at hospital.

Over recent weeks, Spanish Town and surrounding communities have recorded at least three other double killings, which have heightened fear among residents there.

On Sunday, July 28, two women, who sources told Loop News were believed to be a mother and daughter, were shot dead by gunmen in Eltham in Spanish Town.

The deceased were identified as 37-year-old Winsome Williams and her 23-year-old daughter, Daniella Carnegie, otherwise called ‘Bun'.

Reports are that about 9:00 p.m., the two were at home in Eltham, when a group of men went to the premises and opened gunfire, hitting them both several times.

The police were called and the two victims were rushed to hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

The Sunday before, the bodies of two other women were found at a premises on Bonanza Crescent in Lauriston on the outskirts of Spanish Town.

The deceased in that attack were identified as 28-year-old Alexine Rodney, otherwise called ‘Sasha’, from Bonanza Crescent, and the other only as ‘Aleeyah’.

Reports are that the decomposing body of the two were found with gunshot wounds and their throats slashed.

The Spanish Town police reported that on Sunday, July 21, residents living in the community reportedly smelt a foul odour coming from the premises, and went to investigate.

Upon carrying out a search of the house, they stumbled upon the decomposing bodies of the women, along with a toddler who was alive and had been unattended to for an estimated time of almost two days.

The residents summoned the police.

The child was taken into state care for immediate medical treatment.

Back in mid-June, two men were ambushed and shot dead in a daylight attack on Wellington Street in the heart of the busy Spanish Town business district.

A suspect in that case, who was believed to have been shot when a lone policeman on the scene intervened in the attack, was reportedly held when he turned up at hospital for medical treatment.

It is not clear whether investigators have made any further breakthrough in their probes of those three double murders.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: