Friday 10 July, 2020

Alleged rogue cops to be charged with Chedwin Park murder and more

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) has ruled that two of the policemen who were reportedly involved in the recent controversial shooting at Chedwin Park in St Catherine that ended with three persons, including a policeman, dead, should be charged with a number of offences.

“Following an investigation by the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) and a ruling by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (ODPP), Corporals Kirk Frazer and Ramone Scott are to be charged today (May 17) with a total of nine offences,”  a release from INDECOM stated.

INDECOM officials outlined in the document that the officers are jointly charged with seven offences, and Corporal Scott is charged separately with two other offences.

Both officers are charged with the murder of businessman Sheldon Daley, otherwise called ‘Junior Biggs’; shooting with intent; illegal possession of two firearms, illegal possession of their respective ammunition, and the offence of manslaughter of a man identified as Kevron Burrell, arising from the motor vehicle collision at the junction linking Brunswick Avenue and Job Lane.

Corporal Scott is further charged with illegal possession of another firearm and illegal possession of ammunition for that firearm.

Both officers are expected to appear in the Circuit Court Division of the Supreme Court on Monday, May 20.

Reports are that Daley was shot dead at a party at Chedwin Park outside Spanish Town in St Catherine, allegedly by three rogue cops who were then chased by an off-duty policeman.

However, one of the alleged rogue cops has since given an entirely different account of what transpired, with reference to another major figure in the incident as having been one of the villains of the night.

The now accused officer has suggested that it was the off-duty cop who fatally shot both a policeman and a civilian at the scene of the car crash where the chase ended. But autopsies reports on the two bodies have revealed that both men died from blunt force trauma, not bullet wounds.

The two surviving policemen from the accused trio are in custody.

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: