50 people can attend a wedding, funeral as of Sunday, June 7 - Holness
The Government has relaxed the protocols concerning weddings and funerals increasing to 50, the maximum number of persons who will now be allowed to attend these events.
Previously only 15 persons were able to attend weddings and funerals, up from the previous ten. The measures were put in place in March as the Government implemented protocols to slow and limit the spread of COVID-19 on the island.
Prime Minister Andrew Holness provided the update during a digital COVID-19 press conference from Jamaica House on Friday.
Holness said that based on the amendment to the Order, “The attendance at weddings which will take effect on Sunday, June 7, 2020, subject to social distancing and other health protocols at the selected venues, including a place of worship a maximum of 50 persons will be able to attend…”
However, if the size of the venue does not allow for proper social distancing to occur, then fewer than 50 people must attend the wedding. If the venue allows for far more persons to be accommodated the maximum of 50 still applies.
Except for the bride and groom and the bridal party, everyone else attending the wedding is expected to wear a mask.
And, while 50 people can now attend a funeral service at the church, only 15 will be allowed at the burial. Holness said he has asked the commissioner of police to ensure that this Order is enforced.
The prime minister is particularly concerned about activities surrounding funerals and burials as Jamaica’s first confirmed case of COVID-19 on March 10, was linked to a Jamaican-UK national who had travelled to the island for a funeral.
Several persons who had come in contact with the returning resident, including her father, later contracted the coronavirus and the Bull Bay, St Andrew community where she stayed was placed under quarantine for two weeks.