Sunday 8 December, 2019

$1.3 billion national beautification programme announced by Gov’t

The announcement was made on Tuesday by Prime Minister Andrew Holness in a ministerial statement in the House of Representatives.

The announcement was made on Tuesday by Prime Minister Andrew Holness in a ministerial statement in the House of Representatives.

The 63 constituencies nationally have been allocated $15 million each as part of a $1.3 billion programme to undertake the traditional beautification projects at this time of year.

The works are to involve enhanced sanitation, drain-cleaning and a mosquito-eradication drive over the next four months.

The announcement was made on Tuesday by Prime Minister Andrew Holness in a ministerial statement in the House of Representatives.

The mitigation works are scheduled to get underway immediately and will run until February 2020.

The programme will also involve some road works and improvements to civil infrastructure in the 63 constituencies.

When combined with an additional $1 billion that will go towards the Government’s enhanced intervention in response to the ongoing dengue outbreak, the Administration will be spending $2.3 billion over four months.

Holness emphasised that the programme of work is much more than the usual “Christmas work” in light of the ongoing threat posed by the dengue outbreak.

As a result, much of the work will be focused on drain-cleaning, sanitation and vector control.

Of the $1.3 billion announced by Holness, $945 million or $15 million per constituency, will go to the Members of Parliaments (MP), with the remainder shared among the National Works Agency (NWA) and the National Solid Waste Management Authority (NSWMA), the implementing agencies.

In giving a breakdown of how the money should be spent by the MPs, the prime minister said $4 million should go towards bushing and drain-cleaning; $3 million for sanitation and beautification works; $3 million for vector control; and $5 million for the patching of potholes and road repairs.

In a bid to ensure transparency and value for money, the Integrity Commission will provide oversight of the overall programme.

 “… As we did last year, the Integrity Commission has been written to, and has been invited to provide the requisite oversight to the implementation of the programme.  I expect that the commission will be on board in this regard. This Government puts measures in place to ensure that there is value for funds expended, and that quality outcomes are obtained,” Holness said.

He warned that the programme is not giveaway work, as there will be no payment made for work not done.

All funds not expended by February will be reallocated to other national programmes.

“If you don’t use it, you will lose it,” Holness told the members of the House.

 

Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: