10 things to know about birthday boy, Chris Gayle
Explosive opening West Indies batsman, Christopher Henry Gayle.
Explosive opening West Indies batsman, Christopher Henry Gayle, the self-proclaimed ‘Universe Boss’ is celebrating his 40th birthday today, Saturday, September 21.
The Jamaican, burst onto the international scene in 1999 in his debut One-Day International (ODI) for the West Indies and six months later was drafted into the Test team.
In terms of longevity, Gayle has few equals in cricket and he has chalked up a long list of records across all three formats of the game.
Below, Loop Sports lists 10 things to know about one of cricket’s most explosive opening batsmen who also has the nicknames Gayle-Force and Gayle Storm:
1. Gayle captained the West Indies Test side from 2007 to 2010.
2. The Kingstonian is the most capped player for the West Indies in international cricket.
3. Gayle is the only player to score a ‘triplet of centuries’ - a triple hundred in Tests, double hundred in ODIs and a hundred in T20Is.
4. In July 2001, Gayle (175), together with Darren Ganga (89) established the record for opening partnerships at Queens Sports Club, Bulawayo when they put on 214 together against Zimbabwe.
5. Gayle has scored 42 international centuries, which includes 15 Tests, 25 ODIs and two T20I centuries. He is the first cricketer to score centuries in all formats of the game.
6. In 2002, Gayle became the third West Indian to score over 1,000 runs in a calendar year after Vivian Richards and Brian Lara when he closed the year by scoring three centuries against India.
7. In 2015 Gayle established 'The Chris Gayle Academy' with the intent of helping disadvantaged children in both Jamaica and the United Kingdom better themselves and their communities through their involvement in sport.
8. Gayle is the leading run-scorer for West Indies in ODIs as he went past Lara’s record of 10,348 runs in the recent series against India.
9. Gayle has the second most sixes in a calendar year (56 in 2019) and the most sixes in international cricket.
10. Gayle is the only player to score centuries in ICC U19 World Cup, ICC World Twenty20, ICC Cricket World Cup, ICC Champions Trophy, as well as in ICC Cricket World Cup Qualifier.
The ICC (International Cricket Council) led the tributes for Gayle’s 40th birthday, pointing out that the “the hard-hitting West Indies batsman holds the record for most sixes in international cricket and also has the most T20 runs”.
The ICC also highlighted Gayle’s 462 international matches and his 19,321 runs.
There were also numerous birthday wishes from India’s cricketers with whom he has rubbed shoulders for several years in the Indian Premier League, and against whom he has had many battles while representing the West Indies.
Mandeep Sigh said: ‘Happy birthday Universe Boss. One of the most humble superstars I know. May you keep smiling and entertaining us forever like you always do.”
Shikhar Dhawan said: “Happy birthday bro…Was always a pleasure playing cricket with you. Have a nice year ahead Gayle-storm!”
Cricket legend, Sachin Tendulkar, weighed in with: “Wishing you a very happy birthday. Have an amazing year ahead.”
The Cricket Times also wished Gayle a happy birthday today. He is currently representing the Jamaica Tallawahs in the Caribbean T20 Premier League.