"It felt absolutely amazing, and a sense of relief after the competition as you know you can perform your routine but there was so much pressure. It’s only just sinking in; after years and years of hard work and dedication, I have made my dream a reality!" Danusia Francis told Loop News reporter Claude Mills.
The 25-year-old earned one of the top 20 automatic qualifying spots for the Tokyo Games with a breakthrough performance at the FIG Artistic Gymnastics World Championships in Stuttgart, Germany. She competed alongside Jamaican teammates Toni-Ann Williams and Kiara Richmon.
The British-born Francis posted an all-around score of 50.982 to finish on a list of 20 individuals who secured qualification to the 2020 Games in Tokyo. You may have seen the photos of the blonde-haired dynamo holding aloft a Jamaican flag in glee on social media, but how much do you really know about her?
Here are 10 things about Danusia Francis that may surprise you...
1. Danusia can wiggle her ears.
2. She has lucky pajamas that she wears the night before she competes.
3. Her middle name is May and she was born in May.
4. Her family is from the parish of St Thomas.
5. She's not a natural blonde 😉
6. Her favourite Jamaican food is salt fish fritters.
7. Her university degree is in English.
8. She's a terrible swimmer.
9. Winter is her least favourite season.
10. She was a model when she was a baby/toddler.
Get the latest local and international news straight to your mobile phone for free: